March 06, 2005

Endings and beginnings

I don’t have a modelled shot yet, but here’s the finished Fancy Chevron Raglan:

chevrondone.jpg

I don’t feel as triumphant as I might, because I don’t think it’s a complete success. It came out to the specified dimensions, but I think my dimensions might have been wrong — the body is rather shorter than Mark would like, especially for an acrylic sweater with a rather inflexible fabric. It’s wearable, but not ideal. I’ll have to measure his other sweaters and compare the schematics, to make sure I get the next one right. But still, it’s nice to be done with the project, and I think Mark will get some use out of it, so that’s ok. I’ll try to get a picture of him in it tomorrow.

I actually finished the grey sweater on Thursday, so I started the blue raglan for myself — and it’s going very quickly. So quickly, indeed, that here’s the back:

blueraglanback.jpg

Simple stocking stitch, fun raglan shaping, and yummy blue wool. I may well finish this in time to be able to wear it this season! The Elann Peruvian Highland Wool is lovely to work with, and I love the price — if this all goes to plan, it’s going to be very tempting to get myself a couple more sweaters’ worth, in various colours. Of course, I’ve got a fair amount of yarn already that I need to get through… we’ll see.

Posted by Aven at March 6, 2005 02:25 PM
Comments

You are a knitting machine! The chevron looks great - can you stretch it longer for him? I think you have time to finish a few more sweaters at your current rate of speed. Short-sleeved weather is still a dream away.

Posted by: Elizabeth at March 7, 2005 07:27 PM

One of my favorite looks on a guy is a t-shirt under a sweater with the t-shirt peeking out a little at the neck and bottom. If the sweater is just a little short for him, maybe a nice t-shirt under would help the length a little. A nice black t-shirt or even grey. Something that almost ends up looking like a trim.

Posted by: Laurie at March 8, 2005 04:04 PM

Ideas for length: adding a band across the bottom or increasing the ribbing, hanging it while wet. Regular wet-blocking might also help but I’m not sure how long it would last since it’s acrylic. In any case, it still looks great!

Posted by: Toni at March 8, 2005 08:34 PM